The hignly successful SOHO Tour of the historic army base of Fort Rosecrans on Point Loma, San Diego CA, included entry into:
- an officer's house (these buildings are now used by Naval Officers)
- a vist to the Fort Guijarros Museum Foundation Lab and Archival Storage Tunnel (formerly a morgue in the 1940s)
- the Ordnance Repair Facility (1943)
- Battery McGrath (1899)
- location of Spanish Fort Guijarros (1796), the very first fortification on Point Loma
- Battery Wilkeson (1898)
- Submarine Memorial with upper portion of the USS Roncador (SS-301), laid down 1943, commissioned 1945, and decommissioned in 1971.
This rare and interesting tour was made possible through the generosity and hard work of Captain Paul A. Marconi, Naval Base Point Loma, and the many dedicated people of his command, especially Port Operations under BMC Michael Beagley, Facilities Manager Leonard Simon, Portsmouth Naval Shipyard storage, and Public Affairs Officer Bob Page. Our sincere thanks go to all of them.
Naval Base Point Loma, NBPL